Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Unexpected.

As I said almost exactly a month ago, always expect the unexpected. I did say that, didn't I? Well guess what, I didn't expect it. Sometimes, you can never prepare yourself for stuff like this. Someone tried to contact me through Facebook a few months ago, who I hadn't seen in a very long time, barely remembered, and had no interest in ever seeing again. That time, as surprising as the message in my inbox and subsequent friend request was, I wasn't as bothered. I blocked him from my page, changed my privacy settings to even more stringent, in case he tried to contact me again, and went blissfully, and ignorantly on with my life. I mean, you can't get stuck in the past. That just won't do.
So today, when I checked my email, and saw someone had added me as their friend on Flickr, I was pretty surprised, but not shocked. The shock came later. I went over to my page to see what was up, and checked my inbox. I went to this supposed 'friend's profile, and looked at his pictures. I was the same person who had sought me on Facebook six months ago.
I had assumed he gave up. Apparently he hadn't. Again, I changed my privacy settings, hoping that he couldn't see me (this time there were pictures of me available for him to see). And now, I'm not going onward with ignorant bliss. Now there's this kernel stuck in the back of my mind. What if he knows where I live? Does he know my phone number? What kind of personal information does he have on me?
Apparently when people crawl out of the woodwork, they aren't going away when you disappear. It's like being stuck in a game of cat and mouse. Or more appropriately, being a sad front deck, helpless to the wrath of termites shacking up in your wooden knots. So I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Always expect the unexpected.

1 comment: