Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

We watched the inauguration in school today, as I'm sure you have gathered from Alex and Lilia. My math teacher asked us if we thought the school would broadcast the ceremony if Senator McCain had won, and to tell you the truth, they probably wouldn't. There are too many democrats for that, even though it would still be a historical event with Sarah Palin as the vice-president.
While the girls behind me were thoroughly bored by the speeches, especially the quartet, I enjoyed seeing how things went down (I was an inauguration virgin). One of my favorite parts was Rev. Joseph Lowery's benediction and his poetic words, "We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

If you hadn't a chance to watch, I suggest you read Obama's transcript or simply find a replay of the ceremony. It's something you won't want to miss.

"The world has changed, and we must change with it."
-President Barack Obama

1 comment:

  1. Yes, at my school we watched it too. It was fun when we didn't need to do work, only watch!

    ReplyDelete