Friday, January 23, 2009

Chocolate Chip Espresso Cookies

I could sadly never be a chef because I refuse to cook animal meat but I can try at least. And bake. And relax. When the pressures of school or parents loom over my head like impending thunder clouds, I turn to the stove. I don't do much, but one recipe I always come back to - anytime someone asks for a dessert or something for their party, or my friends and I are having a bake-off - is for chocolate chip espresso cookies.

The following recipe is from CosmoGirl. I know. Shocking that they have recipes, but they're always like, "Chad Michael Murray loves these!" Or "Make these for your boyfriend." But the picture was so mouth-watering, I had to try them.

Note: These require being frozen over-night, but if you put in freezer for 1 hour, they will be fine.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground espresso or other finely ground dark-roast coffee beans

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a pot. Lower to a simmer. Put a glass bowl over the pot; melt 1 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips and all the butter in it, stirring constantly until all is melted. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the espresso, then mix in the chocolate mixture. Let it cool. Stir in the flour mixture and the remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Put bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the dough firm up. Make tablespoon-sized dough balls. Put on cookie sheet or wax paper-covered plates and freeze overnight.
To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Completely grease a new cookie sheet or use non-stick. Don't thaw dough. Arrange dough balls 2 inches apart on the pan. Bake 7-10 minutes, checking to see if they're done by sticking a toothpick in (the old trick.) If it mostly comes out clean, they're ready! If not, bake longer and repeat toothpick method. Enjoy with milk!

While this recipe calls for 7-10 minutes, sometimes mine take longer, but many of my friends like the insides to be on the chewy side.

Makes approximately 30 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete