Sunday, December 21, 2008

Life vs. School

Really, which is more important, living your life, or getting a good education? Many would argue that an education is far and away more important, however many would also argue for having life experiences. Therefore, is it a bad thing that I (possibly) squandered away the afternoon doing a Sunday crossword and listening to Pandora, I was exercising my mind, just not on the matters of the civil war and vocabulary words. Prior to this afternoon, I spent my weekend and thoroughly enjoyed snow-day doing activities of my choosing. The dilemma factors in when I mention that I have three tests tomorrow, none of which I am sufficiently prepared for, and it's 9:30 at night. So, was it wrong to spend a few days living, drinking in the winter, knitting, and enjoying the holidays, or should I have been more solicitous to the underestimated amounts of studying I had to do? Too many students these days are turning into robots, doing all they need to get into college, having straight A's, taking AP classes, joining sports teams, playing in the Jazz Band, anything it takes. But it makes me wonder, will we fall flat on our faces in the real world? Are we lacking in the necessary experiences it takes to be successful in the world? And finally, shouldn't the short youth of our lives be spent doing things we enjoy while we still can and while we're still young? In this day and age, there's no room for mistakes or mishaps, make them while you still can, live a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment